Comprehension and Collaboration
1. Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 1 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.
a. Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
b. Build on others’ talk in conversations by responding to the comments of others through multiple exchanges.
c. Ask questions to clear up any confusion about the topics and texts under discussion.
2. Ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
3. Ask and answer questions about what a speaker says in order to gather additional information or clarify something that is not understood.
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
4. Describe people, places, things, and events with relevant details, expressing ideas and feelings clearly.
5. Add drawings or other visual displays to descriptions when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings.
6. Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation.