Key Ideas and Details
1. Ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
2. Retell stories, including key details, and demonstrate understanding of their central message or lesson.
3. Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story, using key details.
Craft and Structure
4. Identify words and phrases in stories or poems that suggest feelings or appeal to the senses.
5. Explain major differences between books that tell stories and books that give information, drawing on a wide reading of a range of text types.
6. Identify who is telling the story at various points in a text.
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
7. Use illustrations and details in a story to describe its characters, setting, or events.
8. (Not applicable to literature)
9. Compare and contrast the adventures and experiences of characters in stories.
Range of Reading and Level of Text Complexity
10. With prompting and support, read prose and poetry of appropriate complexity for grade 1.